CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: digitizer probe and software

on 2001-11-05 15:40:22 UTC
Hi Fred,

The XYZ format output is good news! Can Vector CAD/CAM also IMPORT XYZ
files? Certainly will be easier now to convert Gcode (that I didn't
generate) to STL.

I just added XYZ format per your recommendation to a digitizer program
I'm working on. Actually, the simple XYZ format would also be fine for
inputs to another program I have in mind as well. Initially, I just
parse Gcode to get my data array, but XYZ would be simpler!

"At present time Vector will process the scanned tool path by
> offsetting for a different tool size and following the same cutting
> pattern as that which was scanned."

Then is there a tool offset parm for imports in 9.3? Did I understand
that right? Or is there another way to remove the "tool diameter" from
scanned surfaces?

Thanks for the info.

Best regards,

Alan KM6VV
(Watching the mail) ;>)

Fred Smith wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
> > You can also import the digitizer Gcode file into Vector CAD/CAM
> > directly, and save the drawing file as a DXF. You already HAVE the
> > GCODE, or you can re-generate it from the DXF file. In-between, it
> is
> > then possible to do some "clean ups" to the data.
> >

> Some additional notes about bringing scanned data into Vector.
> First, yes, the data from the G-code can be back plotted. Since the
> scanning is usually along an axis, the back and forth toolpaths can
> also be offset in 3D planes to compensate for a different size tool.
> This will work well for a larger radius tool, but is going to
> give "smoothed" results for a smaller size tool. The smoothed result
> will not give any more detail than the original probe radius could
> detect. At present time Vector will process the scanned tool path by
> offsetting for a different tool size and following the same cutting
> pattern as that which was scanned. There is no checking for
> interference between the side to side passes if you use an offset and
> a larger radius tool. You could also use the input geometry as
> boundary curves for input to the Skin function.
>
> It is also possible to output a comma or space delimited file that
> could be input directly into StlTrans or other programs as the rows &
> columns needed for the XYZ format. The new Vector 9.3 has a back
> converter built into the editor that will let you make some of these
> kinds of conversions without needing to backplot. We are shipping
> two examples that allow backplotting of lathe and conversion of
> Shopbot to G-code.
>
> And just in case anyone asks. ;-) Yes, Vector 32 is shipping, watch
> your mail.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Fred Smith IMService

Discussion Thread

Smoke 2001-11-04 16:31:42 UTC Re: digitizer probe and software Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-11-05 11:10:08 UTC Re: digitizer probe and software Fred Smith 2001-11-05 14:53:24 UTC Re: digitizer probe and software Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-11-05 15:40:22 UTC Re: digitizer probe and software Fred Smith 2001-11-05 18:45:42 UTC Re: digitizer probe and software Smoke 2001-11-05 21:08:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: digitizer probe and software Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-11-05 22:26:32 UTC Re: digitizer probe and software Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-11-05 22:39:39 UTC Re: digitizer probe and software Fred Smith 2001-11-06 04:29:50 UTC Re: digitizer probe and software Smoke 2001-11-06 08:11:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: digitizer probe and software Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-11-06 11:43:28 UTC Re: digitizer probe and software David Goodfellow 2001-11-06 11:48:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: digitizer probe and software Matt Shaver 2001-11-06 12:06:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: digitizer probe and software Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-11-06 12:13:11 UTC Re: digitizer probe and software Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-11-06 12:59:48 UTC Re: digitizer probe and software