CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

HELP! Modifying a CNC Retrotek 8800 system for manual use also

Posted by Ralph Seguin
on 2001-11-06 13:31:19 UTC
I forgot to ask:

-Would it be worthwhile to simply replace the Retrotek 8800 controller
with something newer/faster/better? If so, do I keep these servo
motors (they are big)?

-What newer/faster/better/cheaper controllers are out there? How much
are they? Would have to be cheap...

Thanks!
-Ralph
rpseguin@...
http://mybrain.org/~ralph/SamsonSale (milling machine for sale)
http://mybrain.org/~ralph/forsale.txt (stuff for sale or trade)
http://mybrain.org/~ralph/Wanted.html (stuff I'm looking for)

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Ralph Seguin" <rpseguin@y...> wrote:
> Hi. I have just purchased a Bridgeport CNC mill with a Retrotek
8800
> retrofit CNC kit on it.
>
> Pictures of the mill are online at:
>
> http://mybrain.org/pics/Workshop/Bridgeport-Oct-2001
>

> The mill is in mint condition and I am eager to get it running (have
> to do some concrete work first... :-(
>
> The mill is usable as CNC only, however I would like to try to
modify
> it so that I can use it as a manual mill as well. I thought that it
> might be possible to switch the servo motors off, but keep the
> encoders online so as to be able to use it as a manual mill, but
with
> a good DRO (the encoders).
>
> Has anyone done such a thing?
> How easy/hard is it?
>
> Thanks!
> -Ralph
> rpseguin@y...
>
> http://mybrain.org/~ralph/SamsonSale (milling machine for sale)
> http://mybrain.org/~ralph/forsale.txt (stuff for sale or trade)
> http://mybrain.org/~ralph/Wanted.html (stuff I'm looking for)

Discussion Thread

Ralph Seguin 2001-11-06 13:18:42 UTC Retrotek 8800 Ralph Seguin 2001-11-06 13:31:19 UTC HELP! Modifying a CNC Retrotek 8800 system for manual use also