CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: PC Control Upgrade

Posted by machines@n...
on 2001-11-08 14:58:21 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., brittevalivie@a... wrote:
> Hello All:
> I am new to this newsgroup and had a question on fitting my Cnc
> lathe with a PC control. I did a search on the old posts and it
>seems
> most retrofits are referring to hobbiest type projects. I have a
> rather large machine(LEBLONDE KNIGHT 10)which is all but
>outdated,and
> the control seems to have bitten the dust.Would it be possible to
> convert to a PC control? Could I use my existing servos and
>encoders?
> Is threading a possibility? I'm not sure I'd be too interested if
> threading is not possible as I plan to use the machine as a start
>in
> my home business,and need threading capabilities.Is it possible to
> use the existing control functions somehow with my computer?
> I have a good deal of cnc programming/set-up experience but
>am
> fairly ignorant when it comes to this computer stuff.
> Thanks in advance.

Lathe conversion have been covered before in the past and so far the
answer to any PC upgrade requiring threading facilities is either
Microkinetics or Ahha.
MIcrokinetics is a dated design and lacks a lot of commands.
Ahha on the other hand is very versatile.
In a recent question I asked if any other PC based programs ran
commercial setups 24 / 7 like some Ahha setups. I didn't get a reply
so was that an answer?
Ahha CAN run servo's contary to popular opinion either by using step
and direction drivers like Gecko's or with a conversion board
available from Ian Eagland at www.eagland.co.uk

John S.

Discussion Thread

brittevalivie@a... 2001-11-08 14:03:15 UTC PC Control Upgrade ccs@m... 2001-11-08 14:22:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PC Control Upgrade machines@n... 2001-11-08 14:58:21 UTC Re: PC Control Upgrade Jon Elson 2001-11-08 22:43:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PC Control Upgrade brittevalivie@a... 2001-11-09 06:13:36 UTC Re: PC Control Upgrade ccs@m... 2001-11-09 07:41:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PC Control Upgrade