CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: PC Control Upgrade

on 2001-11-09 06:13:36 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., ccs@m... wrote:

> > I am new to this newsgroup and had a question on fitting my Cnc
> > lathe with a PC control. I did a search on the old posts and it
seems
> > most retrofits are referring to hobbiest type projects. I have a
> > rather large machine(LEBLONDE KNIGHT 10)which is all but
outdated,and
> > the control seems to have bitten the dust.Would it be possible to
> > convert to a PC control? Could I use my existing servos and
encoders?

> Yes, you can convert your machine and use any parts of it that still
> work for which you can find or figure out the appropriate interface
> information. If the drives are still good you would need a board to
> generate the probably +/- 10v signals to drive them. There is an
> encoder input board available as an inexpensive kit. Another way to
> go (if the motors are permanent magnet DC) is to buy new drives from
> www.geckodrive.com for about $100/axis which take step & direction
> signals (ie, they make the servos look like stepper motors to the
> computer so you can run them off the printer port).
>
> > Is threading a possibility? I'm not sure I'd be too interested if
> > threading is not possible as I plan to use the machine as a start
in
> > my home business,and need threading capabilities.
>
> Threading support tends to be limited. If you can tightly servo the
> spindle then most programs will do it. Fewer are able to move the Z
> axis in response to an encoder on a non-servoed spindle which may
not
> always be quite where the program had planned.
>
> I would caution that to get things working nicely, you will either
> need to learn a bit about computers as you do the conversion, or
hire
> someone to help you.
>
> Chris
How would I go about finding someone to hire to help me with this?Any
ideas on how much it will cost? I am weighing the cost of having this
old outdated machine repaired versus looking for another and putting
this on the back burner for awhile.

Discussion Thread

brittevalivie@a... 2001-11-08 14:03:15 UTC PC Control Upgrade ccs@m... 2001-11-08 14:22:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PC Control Upgrade machines@n... 2001-11-08 14:58:21 UTC Re: PC Control Upgrade Jon Elson 2001-11-08 22:43:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PC Control Upgrade brittevalivie@a... 2001-11-09 06:13:36 UTC Re: PC Control Upgrade ccs@m... 2001-11-09 07:41:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PC Control Upgrade