CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Recommendations

on 2001-11-08 17:51:00 UTC
P.J.

You don't say what kind of computer is driving your machine. But here's
something to think about. I am also using a Sherline 2000 mill and am
running TurboCNC on a DOS based machine. I first attempted to use my Zenith
Z-Star EX notebook computer, which is a 486 DX-2 50 Mhz machine. I found
that the stepping was quite unreliable. Each axis would drop steps on a
supposedly random basis. Then, I tried the same experiment with my Sony
Pentium-III 450 Mhz. machine. The difference in performance was dramatic.
Where the Zenith had problems moving the X Axis at 1000 pulses per second, I
can get 4500 pulses (steps) per second with the Sony.

So, I put an oscilloscope on the step line of one of the motors. What I
found with the Zenith is that the step line pulsed correctly, but had more
dither (variation than the motors could handle while the Sony provided a
rock solid pulse train. If you're trying to get by with an older machine,
this could be your problem. Remember, nothing really happens at random with
these machines. When you talk about about 1/5 the distance of the "bar" in
an "A," that's too much distance to blame on backlash in the Sherline.

Hope this helps you find the underlying problem.

-- Carol & Jerry Jankura
Strongsville, Ohio
So many toys, So little time....