CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Problems resolved (was McMaster exposed - my last .02)

Posted by Dale Smith
on 2001-11-09 06:52:36 UTC
> Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 20:34:33 -0800
> From: Jerry Kimberlin <kimberln@...>
> Subject: Re: Problems resolved (was McMaster exposed - my last .02)
>
> ccs@... wrote:
>
> > Ironically, the folks who do need the catalog are the newbies who
> > don't yet know what can be bought.
>
> It's hard to fault this comment. I've been there and learned 30
> years ago or more that manufacturer's literature is the best way to
> become educated. Been doing that ever since. I've gotten to the
> point where I just search for stuff I can imagine useful.

Jerry, I didn't spend a lot of time at M.I.T. (just now learned to spell it)
but I did go to a coure many years ago that put me on track to developing
one of my best tools. Sounds like you are very near the same place:

Long before I could dump my problems off on some unsuspecting WWW group, I
started using catalogs and telephone books for problem solving.

I forget the instructor but I will never forget his definition of creative
problem solving: The use and application of your existing body of knowledge
to arrive at a solution for a problem of ambiguous nature.

Whenever I get stuck on something, I reach for a catalog on just about
anything and start thumbing through it. The old Sears catalog was wonderful.
Yellow pages are great, the Thomas Register is good but bulky... whatever.
Sooner or later, I'll will come across something to provide the spark that
ignites the flame which illuminates the solution. It will probably be far
removed from the subject under consideration but, if it works...

Looking at member projects is a clear indication that many are already using
some form of this technique but I wonder how many realize that this is a
skill that can be developed, honed, fine-tuned and expanded to the point
everyone will wonder how you do it? It can be.

wdsmith

Discussion Thread

Dale Smith 2001-11-09 06:52:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Problems resolved (was McMaster exposed - my last .02)