CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: I GOT A PROBLEM

Posted by Paul Devey
on 1999-10-15 19:26:44 UTC
Dan,

I don't think WINE can handle a program such as Vector CAD/CAM. From what I
can tell it is a 16/32bit WIN application. WINE has problems with 32bit.

I am just beginning to setup a LINUX server. I have bought VMWARE
http://vmware.com/ and will be installing it on my box. It emulates your
hardware inside the LINUX OS. This allows you to run Windows inside LINUX.
You will need approx. 400MHz with at least 128MB of RAM.

I hope to get it up with Vector within the next couple of weeks.

Paul Devey

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Falck <dfalck@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Date: Friday, October 15, 1999 9:06 PM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] I GOT A PROBLEM

>From: Dan Falck <dfalck@...>
>
>Arne,
>
>I like your ideas on this. Linking Varkon to EMC would be interesting. I
>have looked at it and used it a bit. It seemed pretty cool in concept, but
>not being a programmer, it was like trying to walk on quick sand for me-
>each project had a different interface. This is good for flexibility and
>developement, but hard for me to harness. Maybe with some more examples of
>projects that are useful to me , I might understand it better.
>Do you suppose that parts of Varkon could be linked to EMC via some Tcl/Tk
>script?
>
>For my CAM needs: Engraving true type and postscript fonts and 2D artwork
>onto parts. Basic 2 1/2 D milling. Later on, 3D surfacing, with artwork
>projected onto the 3D surfaces for engraving. In the Microsoft world
>(grrrr knashing of teeth) Rhino and Vector CAD/CAM take care of most of
>this. I have gone so far as to set up WINE on Linux to create a Windows
>emulator and run Vector, with very little success. The screen disapearred
>in sections, even though the program seemed to be generating Gcode.
>
>Thanks Arne,
>
>Dan Falck
>
>>Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the
discussion of shop built systems in the above catagories.
>To Unsubscribe, read archives, change to or from digest.
>Go to: http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi
>Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
>For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
>bill,
>List Manager

Discussion Thread

Arne Chr. Jorgensen 1999-10-15 18:23:54 UTC I GOT A PROBLEM Dan Falck 1999-10-15 18:02:27 UTC Re: I GOT A PROBLEM Paul Devey 1999-10-15 19:26:44 UTC Re: I GOT A PROBLEM Dan Falck 1999-10-15 20:07:04 UTC Re: I GOT A PROBLEM Jon Elson 1999-10-15 22:19:49 UTC Re: I GOT A PROBLEM Ian Wright 1999-10-16 03:21:52 UTC Re: I GOT A PROBLEM Andrew Werby 1999-10-17 03:28:21 UTC Re: I GOT A PROBLEM Ian Wright 1999-10-17 15:31:49 UTC Re: Re: I GOT A PROBLEM