CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re:My CNC Retrofit Project/Don't cut wires!

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 1999-10-16 04:43:42 UTC
Message: 9
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:58:28 -0500
From: Ray Henry <rehenry@...>
Subject: Re: My CNC Retrofit Project/Don't cut wires!

The original message of Andrew's is cut up badly here!

[Sorry- that's why I favor square brackets. It will probably help somewhat-
until somebody else starts doing it too...]

>[This computer doesn't seem to be set up that way. Instead of being slid
>into slots like a modern computer, its 4 panels are screwed to a back
>plate, which mounts on the door of the control cabinet. The only tag on the
>computer said "Industrial Information Controls Inc PC-LSP-08." I think they
>made the rest of the control stuff too. The only way the machine reboots is
>by turning on and off the main switch, which looks like a car door handle
>mounted on the back of the control cabinet.]

Okay. With something like this, you need to kill all the power to the
machine

[I've wired it in solid- no plug. Is it sufficient to turn of the power
with the switch, or do I need to find the capacitors and drain them?]

and use some good contact cleaner. Take apart the plugs between
boards, one at a time, and spray both the board contacts and the connector.
If the connector slides onto the edge of the circuit board, there will be
a bunch of flat copper, tin, or gold foil contacts printed near the edge.
The connector has metal springs that slide over these flats to make the
contact. You can wipe off these flats with a pencil eraser and get them
shiny again. If the connector slides onto pins you can do some cleaning of
the pins with long narrow strips of paper. Run a strip around each pin
like a bootblack might his polishing cloth.

[This sounds like a good idea, thanks, I'll try it.]

They've probably changed names since then. I'll see if I can find any more
info.

Industrial Information Controls Inc
14627 Martin Drive
Eden Prarie, MN 55244
It's on the plate block of your drawings.

[I tried to track them down, but no luck. They've either moved, folded,
changed names, or been absorbed by some other company.]

I saw a mechanical indexer a few years back. It had a plunger on top that
would move the chuck. You just programmed a move to it and plunge and the
chuck turned the distance you set. I thought it was cleaver, some others
thought it a waste of machine time. You could do something similar with a
cheapo, a little ratched plunger and a brake. Or electric with a switch.

Computer controlled indexers are more expensive. A nearby shop bought a
rock-solid indexer with control that would step in arc minutes for 12k.

[Yowza!]

There are some older Yuassa indexers that sold new for 2-3k that would do a
nice job of small steps and would easily fit on your machine. You could
make your own with a stepper motor like you said and use the emc to run it
but I'd have to think about triggering it.

Ray

[If anybody comes across one of these in good used condition for cheap, let
me know. It shouldn't be too hard to insert a command at the end of each
line, but I'm not sure how to get the indexer to read it. A kludge might be
to use a electro/mechanical indexer as described above, and trigger it with
a switch activated when the milling table reached the end of its stroke.]

Message: 11