CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

I-LPT & step/dir servo amps

on 1999-10-16 13:01:46 UTC
I'm happy to see some discussion about Indexer LPT, even though it *is* a
for-profit product. I've been very interested in doing (and learning) some
of my own programming using I-LPT for motion control applications in
addition to the usual g-code/cnc applications that we discuss in this list.
Does anyone have other applications they've integrated I-LPT into? I'm
interested in hearing about different ways of utililizing it using different
software and mechanical systems.

Also, in a related topic: I've asked here before (with little response)
about step/direction-input servomotor amplifier systems such as the one
Camtronics sells.

What would it take to match the performance of a "standard" servo system,
using step/direction output? I've looked into this a little, and it seems
one issue is closing the loop with an equivalent, high-performance PID
algorithm. Another issue is resolution - you would need a fairly high
frequency step/direction source, I suppose. Would that frequency need to be
any faster than a good servo loop update rate (for an equivalent machine
resolution)?

I've got the itch about this topic because Texas Instruments is advertising
a low-cost DSP specifically targeted at motion control. Their TMS320LC2402
sells for $2.95 in higher quantities, and $7.95 for a flash version
(http://www.ti.com/sc/docs/products/dsp/tms320lc2402.html). (please, no
flames; I 'm not selling anything, and I don't own stock in TI!!) It has
A/D's, PWM outputs, counter/timers, and even direct encoder input (internal
quadrature encoder). AND they claim supports many standard microcontroller
functions. I wish I had the time to dig into it further. It would make a
simple (and cheap, if you don't count development time) step/dir input servo
amplifier.

Hope this sparks a little interest.

Carlos Guillermo

Discussion Thread

Carlos Guillermo 1999-10-16 13:01:46 UTC I-LPT & step/dir servo amps batwings@x... 1999-10-16 06:12:40 UTC Re: I-LPT & step/dir servo amps Jon Elson 1999-10-16 21:42:03 UTC Re: I-LPT & step/dir servo amps Carlos Guillermo 1999-10-17 09:43:11 UTC RE: I-LPT & step/dir servo amps Carlos Guillermo 1999-10-17 15:08:31 UTC RE: I-LPT & step/dir servo amps garfield@x... 1999-10-17 19:43:44 UTC Re: I-LPT & step/dir servo amps Jon Elson 1999-10-17 23:23:08 UTC Re: I-LPT & step/dir servo amps Carlos Guillermo 1999-10-18 04:34:54 UTC RE: I-LPT & step/dir servo amps Carlos Guillermo 1999-10-18 04:47:04 UTC RE: I-LPT & step/dir servo amps batwings@x... 1999-10-17 19:57:38 UTC RE: I-LPT & step/dir servo amps garfield@x... 1999-10-18 06:53:27 UTC Re: I-LPT & step/dir servo amps Darrell Gehlsen 1999-10-18 09:39:45 UTC Re: I-LPT & step/dir servo amps garfield@x... 1999-10-18 10:23:38 UTC Re: I-LPT & step/dir servo amps