CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

KM6VV Robot

on 2001-11-30 15:47:52 UTC
Hi Mike,

I have posted "KM6VV Robot" under Photos on Yahoo CCED group. The body
base (I re-measured) is 22" x 22". The body top is 12" x 18", and the
body is 17" high. The body tapers up from a square with faceted
corners, up to a rectangle, also with faceted corners. The motor
platform is 18" x 16", and 8" tall. The wheels are 10". A pair of
timing belts drive the two wheels. A homemade shaft encoder is on the
motor.

The arm is a separate sub-system, on the top for the photo, but will be
on a removable plate that is bolted to a side It has 7 stepper motors
that work in pairs. the odd motor runs a lead screw to work the elbow.
One pair rotates and elevates the shoulder, one pair rotates and bends
the hand, and the remaining pair work the fingers (independently).

A 7" monitor is to be in a "head" (not built!). A wireless keyboard
(for XT's only) was used to communicate with the old XT. The wire wrap
board visible in the front photo has 4 channels of timers and two
channels of PWM to drive the motors, and 4 channels of A/D to read the
analog joystick seen in the front view. A 48V to 5V DC/DC converter
runs the computer, and -12 comes from another DC/DC converter.

12" scale shown in front view for size. Not seen are the ultrasonic
transducers, arm stepper and ultrasonic control boards.

Built with Sears/Sherline mill, Sears/EMCO C5 lathe, bandsaw, drill
press, MIG welder, etc.

My pleasure to post!

Alan KM6VV

Mike Gann wrote:

> Alan -
>
> That sounds interesting. I would like to see some pics.
>
> Mike
>
> Alan Marconett KM6VV wrote:
> >
> > Hi Eric, list,
> >
> > I have built a robot chassis, possibly similar to what you are
> > proposing. Although students at NASA did the rough metal work for me, I
> > had designed it so that it could be fabricated by a small sheet metal or
> > home shop. The Base is a 1" square aluminum tube, cut and bent into a
> > 24" x 20" rectangle. An aluminum plate bolts to the top of that.
> > Wheels, batteries, drivers go on this level, about 6" high. 8" "shop
> > cart" utility wheels are driven from 23.4:1 Granger gear boxes by a pair
> > of "daisy wheel printer" motors. four 12 AH 12V batteries are connected
> > in series to power a pair of H-bridge motor drivers. Above this base, on
> > 6" pillars, is another 1/8" aluminum plate. In the center of this is a
> > 8" dia trunk hole, with a LARGE thin bearing, rotated by a toothed
> > pulley.
> >
> > The "body" of the robot is a 24" high by 24" wide by 20" deep body,
> > which truncates up from the 8 sided base to a smaller 8 sided top. The
> > top is considerably thinner, so that the front and back of the body
> > taper up. There are 1/16" bent plates that serve as the corners and
> > create the size transition from top to bottom. There are open
> > rectangular areas on each of the four sides, with lips so that the
> > openings may be closed off with panels. The corner transitions are
> > welded to the top and bottom plates, creating a truncated trapezoid.
> > Additionally, there is an 8" trunk hole cut in the bottom plate. Into
> > the front of the body, a box deep enough for an old XT mother board is
> > set in at an angle.
> >
> > Probably hard to visualize all of this, but my point is that all you
> > need is to get the aluminum plates sheared for you, the corners bent,
> > and the frame welded or bolted together. I didn't have any flame
> > cutting to do, and probably could have done the cutting with a saber or
> > table saw. A few more screws and nuts could have replaced the welding.
> > The completed frame and body is quite strong; I was able to sit on it
> > and drive it around the garage!
> >
> > I'll send you some pix if you are interested, and could even post them
> > in the files section, if anyone is interested.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Alan KM6VV
> > P.S. This was a project from about 12 or so years ago, no current work
> > in progress. "HOBBIT" (Home Orientated Binary BIpedal roboT) doesn't do
> > stairs!

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-11-30 15:47:52 UTC KM6VV Robot Mike Gann 2001-11-30 16:25:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] KM6VV Robot glee@i... 2001-11-30 17:34:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] KM6VV Robot Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-11-30 17:37:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] KM6VV Robot Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-11-30 17:44:27 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] KM6VV Robot glee@i... 2001-11-30 18:01:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] KM6VV Robot Rich D. 2001-11-30 18:02:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] KM6VV Robot Alan Marconett KM6VV 2001-11-30 19:22:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] KM6VV Robot