CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: ball screw or belt drive?

Posted by Chris L
on 2001-12-04 22:00:33 UTC
Jeff,

Mcmaster just calls them Leadscrews. Look for number: 6350k23
thats a .5 diameter, .5 lead (2 turns per inch of travel) 6' long

Also, AntiBacklash nut: 6350k63

Order them and have 'em tomorrow ! Well, ok, may be a bit late.....

Again, the nut... just a bit gimpy...... If you leave enough room in the
areas where you mount the nuts, you could always install the better nuts from
Kerk. I think they have a slightly larger bolt hole diameter. This setup will
do what you want to do.

Honestly, You will throw a caliper on items you make and it will be within a
thou or 2. If not, something in your design has failed!

motors: Well, with this size work area.... I wouldn't go under a 160oz
stepper. Unless you know you can run them with a 70 or so volt supply. 200's
or 220's would be better on the X-Y. 120-150 min. on the Z axis. use a NEMA
23 on your Z axis to keep it smaller and less "heavy", 23's or 34's on the
X-Y With these motors, you could get away with a 40volt supply and still be
alright. If you get it higher... that's even better !

What is your Z axis travel going to be ?? Word of warning.... Don't make it
too short. 3d work in foam may require some long spindley bits hanging out of
the router. That long bit needs to lift high enough to clear you workpiece.
Or, at least design it that you could space the whole gantry higher if need
be.

Chris L

hotaluminum wrote:

> Name??? It's Jeff,
>
> I am trying to design a something without alot of slop, key word
> trying. I'm not looking to have perfection, just close enough for what
> I'm trying to accomplish with it.
>
> Is a ACME screw considered a ball-screw? or does ACME make a ball-screw?
>
> I'm still trying to figure out what size steppers to use on my XYZ
> table. I don't want to underpower/overpower my choices. I found some
> 125oz/in Size #34 @ 200 s/r for $25, they are used.
>
> I was thinking of using timing belts for the X-Y axis and a ball-screw
> for the Z axis. Still doing a price comparision between the two.
>
> I will look into the rolled ball screw at the company you mention.
>
> Thanks.

Discussion Thread

zbadone@b... 2001-12-03 20:38:53 UTC ball screw or belt drive? JanRwl@A... 2001-12-04 20:42:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] ball screw or belt drive? hotaluminum 2001-12-04 21:10:47 UTC Re: ball screw or belt drive? JanRwl@A... 2001-12-04 21:20:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: ball screw or belt drive? Chris L 2001-12-04 21:42:18 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] ball screw or belt drive? Chris L 2001-12-04 22:00:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: ball screw or belt drive?