CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC.ini with Camtronics 5A Me too

Posted by Ray
on 2001-12-11 12:56:37 UTC
>    From: "confusered" <confusered@...>
<s>So back to EMC.
<s>(Is there a complete description of all the variables in the ini
> file that I have not found yet?)

Nope. But there is some text in various places and space for it on
linuxcnc.org/handbook if you want to coordinate the work on one.

> So now I'm running EMC on a P233, hooked to Camtronics
> 5A drivers, hooked to steppers, hooked to my mill
> drill, with no limit or home switches yet.  It's not
> perfect yet.  My X uses 4444 pulses per inch and does
> not appear to be very smooth.  Y uses ~5200 ppi and
> seems smooth.  Z uses ~3900 ppi and is fairly smooth.
> I notice that when I have the Z axis moving down at a
> very slow speed, there is a definite pause in the
> motion at a regular interval of about 1 second.

Which stepper driver? Does the raggedness seem to change at different
speeds?

> Other things I've noticed that someone may be able to
> help with:  1) Response to keyboard input for
> continuous jogs seems very slow - motion continues
> "long" after I let up on the key.

The continuous jog is embedded in a tcl loop that gets updated every so
often. This can be set in the ini file that you are reading on startup.
The variable is
-----ini snip----
; Cycle time, in seconds, that display will sleep between polls
CYCLE_TIME = 0.10
-----end-----

>2) When I set up
> for a job and `home' the axis to my start point, I get
> motion like the controller wants to hunt for zero.  I
> have noticed this even if the display already reads
> zero when I hit the home button.  Seems I could
> destroy a few tiny end mills this way.

This may be caused by a HOME_OFFSET value in the ini that you are using.
I set 0.1 as an offset in mini.ini so that the emc could home an axis,
move off that home switch, home another axis using the same parport pin,
and repeat until each axis has been homed.

HTH

Ray

Discussion Thread

confusered 2001-12-10 15:55:51 UTC EMC.ini with Camtronics 5A Me too Ray 2001-12-11 12:56:37 UTC Re: EMC.ini with Camtronics 5A Me too