CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Printing out EMC documentation with BDI install

Posted by jensor1
on 2001-12-14 09:11:17 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Jon Elson <elson@p...> wrote:
Jon-
The printing problem got solved with the assistance of dlantz@.. who
patiently held my hand and guided me to the solution in messages
36157, 35169, 35171 and 35176.

No, my HP 4P isn't a postscript printer, but I had previously
installed the nessecary rpms to convert the files back for my non
postscript printer. And I thought it worked okay when it printed out
a postscript test page. But when I printed out an ascii test page
the cr's were missing causing it only to print out the first 2 lines
of text, the second being displaced from the left margin. I had to go
back into printool and find the means to fix this - it was there
under the option "fix stair-stepping text".

Thanks for your response.

Jack Ensor

> jensor1 wrote:
>
> > I installed EMC via BDI and also down loaded and installed the
> > necessary files to enable printer interface. I was able to get
the
> > printer working fine as far as printing a test page from the "Red
Hat
> > Print System Manager" using the Print Postscript test page option.
> >
> > However when I went to the KDE Text Editor, and tried to print out
> > the /usr/local/emc/Readme file, the printer just spit out blank
> > pieces of paper. My printer is an HP Laserjet 4P.
>
> 4P as in PostScript?
> I use a utility called a2ps that converts ascii text to nicely
formatted
> pages for a PostScript printer. If the correct drivers have been
loaded,
> the command would be lpr filename, or possibly lpr -P printername
filename.
> The second case would be if that printer was not set as default.
> This requires that the system was already configured with one of the
> print spooler systems and knows that the printer is a PostScript
> printer.
>
> > Does anyone know what I must do in order to get my printer working
> > from this text editor? I need to print out the doc files, I can't
> > read all this from the screen.
>
> It sounds like the printer is already properly configured if the
test page
> worked.
>
> If the files are in troff form, then you use troff to print them.
If in
> TeX form, you use TeX and then maybe dvips.
>
> But, the README file you mention is plain ASCII text, so lpr should
> make the right conversions. If nothing happens, you might need to
> start lpd, but that doesn't sound like what is happening. Try the
lpr
> commands mentioned above. Depending on the vintage of your
> distribution, you might have a2ps as an RPM that you can install.
> Generally, then you could just type a2ps filename and it would be
> printed on the default printer.
>
> Jon

Discussion Thread

jensor1 2001-12-13 11:50:46 UTC Printing out EMC documentation with BDI install Jon Elson 2001-12-13 23:29:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Printing out EMC documentation with BDI install jensor1 2001-12-14 09:11:17 UTC Re: Printing out EMC documentation with BDI install