CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Limit switch options - opinion

on 2001-12-17 21:01:48 UTC
There are also proximity switches that can sense metal directly without
magnets. Some of these can be quite small. I'd be careful of reed switches
for a homing function, as they may not be too repeatable.

For both limit and homing switches, make sure that there is a clear path for
overtravel in the situation where something fails and the motor keeps
wanting to drive the carriage past the limit. With larger systems than a
sherline, if the switch gets in the way of the carriage travel, you'll wipe
out the switch and do the same damage to the carriage as if the switch
weren't there anyway. With a Sherline, Chances are that the motor would
stall out if you hit the switch, though you may also breake something there.

-- Jerry