CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC Linux boot time? -- Linux services at startup

on 2001-12-18 09:53:57 UTC

confusered wrote:
> Thanks, I am hooked up to a working TCP/IP network.
> Hope to get some time shortly to try the many good
> suggestions.

Running Sendmail is almost like running an Exchange server. It is quite
unnecessary for your purpose, and even for most workstations as well.

Stop it with:
service sendmail stop

Keep it from running at boot with:
chkconifg --level 2345 sendmail off

There should also be an interactive, ncurses-based (i.e. color text-mode
app) program called "ntsysv". It will list all the services available,
whether they start for the current "run level"** and hitting F1 on each
will give you a description for each service.

[ **NOTE: "run-levels" are used to boot different modes at startup, or
to change the system setup while the system is running. On RedHat, 1 is
single-user/maint, 3 is multiuser/non-GUI, 5 is multiuser/GUI. The
"init (run-level)" command is used both at system startup and shutdown
(e.g., 0 is shutdown, 6 is reboot) and can be called directly (e.g., if
you booted run-level 3, "init 5" will put you into GUI mode with GUI
login, assuming X-Windows is configured correctly). ]

-- TheBS

P.S. You'll find most Linux distributions come with a wealth of apps
that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars from Microsoft and its
partners (not even counting the additional client access licenses, or
CALs, required to run them on a network with more than just a few
clients) -- e.g.:

- Samba
WinNT/2K PDC/SDC "Windows Networking" server with more flexibility and
options than native NT/2000 servers, even Enterprise editions.

- KDevelop/GCC
KDE-based integrated development environment application that uses the
cross-platform GNU compiler collection for server, desktop and embedded
software development. Equivalent to Visual Studio with CE development
pack and probably 50 other 3rd party programs added.

- PostgreSQL
A transaction-based and fully ACID-compliant and very advanced SQL
database server. Replaces MS SQL Server. Access-like, code-free, GUI
database form generators exist in TheKompany's Rekall (GPL Linux,
commercial Windows) and Borland's Kylix (commercial, Delphi-equivalent
on Linux).

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith mailto:b.j.smith@... chat:thebs413
Engineer AbsoluteValue Systems, Inc. http://www.linux-wlan.org

Discussion Thread

Bryan-TheBS-Smith 2001-12-18 09:53:57 UTC Re: EMC Linux boot time? -- Linux services at startup