CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gecko ERR/RES Handling

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2001-12-18 10:41:18 UTC
The only documentation that I know exists on the positive going steps
issue is what I replied to. I hadn't run into the problem before I
switched PC's out in my shop. The faster PC brought the issue to the
front burner as I was testing, prior to shipping on one of my milling
machines, a newly assembled G320 servo unit. It worked fine on my old
computer during bench testing but was quite prone to faulting on my shop
machine. Then I started trouble shooting because I hadn't run into this
before. After a logical process of elimination I concluded that it had
to do with the opto coupler and signal type and proceeded to change the
type pulse and it cleared it right up. I called Marris a few weeks ago
to let him know what I discovered so if other customers ran into this
software problem he could advise them of the solution.
Myself I don't use any pull up resistors on the step and direction lines
and have had rock solid performance on a the GX0 amps/drivers. The only
other issue that I know of with the Geckos' G320/G340 is the question
about the encoder noise when using HEDS type read heads. But I have run
my own tests with 100 ft of cable and no line drivers and no added
capacitance and also found rock solid performance. But noise and
faulting are two different problems and show up differently.
I have had excellent support from GeckoDrive. But as one that also
provides support for the Geckodrives that I sell, I can understand that
it is difficult for a customer to isolate a problem when there are so
many factors that could cause the problem. Doing it by telephone or my
email is challenging.
That is what is so good about CAD_CAM_EDM_Dro group is that there is
always someone that can help.
Dan