CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Model Engineers

Posted by Peter Ellis
on 1999-10-23 12:24:20 UTC
The message <940578249.17207@onelist.com>
from CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com contains these words:

> Message: 7
> > Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 09:44:02 -0400
> > From: Bertho Boman <boman@...>
> > Subject: Re: Model Engineers are here
> >
> > I am curious. I know what electronic, electric and mechanical
engineers are. What is a Model Engineer? Is it actually a
> > professional title or a person building small models?
> > Bertho Boman

The North American term home shop machinist is often nearer the mark.
Whilst I know many professional mechanical engineers who are model
engineers, most of the MEs that I know do not necessarily have any
mechanical engineering background.
British MEs, whilst making miniature copies of full sized engineering
projects, particularly those using steam, like locos and stationary
engines, often also make things like clocks, engage in toolmaking.
make miniature I.C. engines or make spare parts for obsolete
cars/autos or machine tools acquired as 'bargains' because they need
repairing and either the parts are obsolete or it is cheaper to make
one's own. Our North American counterparts also often seem to make
guns as well. Many of the things we make are actually not models at
all and are very much 12":1ft.
Whilst many MEs will require the full words and music to be provided,
others will design their own project. Some projects are not so much
reproductive as experimental and work on gas turbines springs to
mind. These are often not so much models as experimental creations in
a size appropriate to the size of a home workshop.
The overall criteria tends to be towards an interest in all things
mechanical allied to the use of a home workshop.
Cheers

Peter

Discussion Thread

Peter Ellis 1999-10-23 12:24:20 UTC Re: Model Engineers