CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Synchronous stepper motors

Phil Plumbo wrote:

> From: psp@... (Phil Plumbo)
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I have run across several Slo-Syn 110V motors that are labled as "Syncronous
> Stepper Motors"; they are about NEMA 34 size, but when I rotate the shaft,
> there is no "cogging" feel as with a regular stepper. What's up with this
> kind of motor? Are they potentially useful in CNC conversions?

These motors are designed to run at very low speed from a 110 V, 60 Hz
line, with a phase shift capacitor. You get tens of RPM out of them, and,
due to the large inductance, that is about all they will do. They can be made
to index, like any other stepper, but they really don't perform well enough
to be used for CNC.

psp@x... 1999-10-25 14:04:10 UTC Synchronous stepper motors Jon Elson 1999-10-25 14:53:22 UTC Re: Synchronous stepper motors Steve Carlisle 1999-10-25 17:26:12 UTC Re: Synchronous stepper motors