CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: WHAT WE WANT ?

Posted by Bertho Boman
on 1999-10-25 18:28:11 UTC
Hi Arne,

What I am trying to say is that there actually are very high level programs that are used to design, for example, a whole
engine. It is used to evaluate clearances, stress, vibration and so on. When the designer is done, individual drawings and
files are presumably generated for each part. These files are then loaded one by one into the regular CAD-CAM packages that we
have been talking about, the G-code is generated and each part is eventually machined.

I do not have a good definition between "System CAD programs" and "Part CAD-CAM programs".

I do not know, but I suspect that the "System" ones are not used to produce G-codes.

Any suggestions or industry standards to differentiating them.
Bertho
==============================

> "Arne Chr.Jorgensen" <instel@...> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have some comments and questions to Bertho:
>
> I have started to play around with some thoughts of a program that will
> do what you have described. I think your
> observations has been very good. But here is a question:
>
> I quote you:
>
> "One gray area that I was referring to in my previous post and that is
> still not clear to me. When I design a product, I do not
> design a part, I design many parts working together. Very high level
> programs will allow all kinds of simulation
> (I wish I had one and the time to learn how to use it....) but the above
> mentioned programs might not be able to do that. They might be more
> intended to use to import a "one part" file from the "big" program and
> then create a tooling (G-code) output for just that part. Or if a
> drawing is received, use the program to create the part in software and
> then machine it."
>
> I am not sure what you mean by this ?
>
> First, it is normal that the g-code file, is different from your
> drawings. The g-code will remove material, until you get it into
> the shape your drawings show. You design many parts working together.
> Great, but you have to machine them one by one,
> then assemble them. Don't you ? Or are you on to some other ideas ?
>
> //ARNE

Discussion Thread

Arne Chr.Jorgensen 1999-10-25 17:56:29 UTC WHAT WE WANT ? Bertho Boman 1999-10-25 18:28:11 UTC Re: WHAT WE WANT ?