CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bar stock / Spindles

Posted by Bill Vance
on 2001-12-27 11:34:19 UTC
On Thu Dec 27 10:31:27 2001, johnhe, <johnhe@...> wrote:

>> As for dial indicators, the good ones have jeweled bearings, and I have
>> one that directly reads out in .0001" marks. I can pretty much resolve
>> variations down to .00001" on that indicator, without any backlash or
>> slip/stick effects. If you want to know if a diameter is consistent or if
>> it is out of round, this will clearly show it, even if the exact reading
>is
>> not valid. (If the axis of the indicator is not perfectly normal to the
>work,
>> then the calibration is off.)
>>
>> Jon
>
>This has probably already been done but couldn't you test if the cylinder
>had sides (Cheap skate style) by listening to it? If you were to mount an
>electric listening probe into the tool post and hold it against the bar, any
>lobes the probe's tip passed over would sound like knocking wouldn't it?
>Just a thought, working along the idea that the probes listen for quite high
>frequency, small amplitude, vibrations.
>
>John H.

If you have a flat surface, you can do that just by listening to the noise it
makes when you roll it.

--
RKBA! ***** Blessings On Thee, Oh Israel! ***** 4-19!

Constitutional Government is dead, LONG LIVE THE CONSTITUTION!!!!!

johnhe 2001-12-27 10:33:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bar stock / Spindles Smoke 2001-12-27 10:38:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bar stock / Spindles Bill Vance 2001-12-27 11:34:19 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Bar stock / Spindles