CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: EMC Video drivers - help please

Posted by Ian Wright
on 2001-12-27 11:28:23 UTC
Hi Andrew,

A couple of things you should try. First try typing into the terminal window
(little TV button at the bottom) 'XF86Setup' - if this does nothing you may
need to install the package from the BDI CD, its called
XFree86-XF86Setup.xxx.rpm. Or you could use xconfigurator. Either way you
should get an application which will allow you to mess around with the video
setup without having to completely re-install the whole of the software.
Also, XF86Setup seems to 'know' more video cards etc. than the installation
scripts do.
I suspect that your monitor settings are actually the ones which need
altering and its actually just defaulting to the lowest resolution. Try
changing the lower 'H' value on the monitor settings to, say, 35 and test it
again. Also, is the video card memory setting right - often XFree86 will
pick the right kind of card automatically but will not work out that it is
anything more than the basic version of the card and will default to the
lowest memory setting.
Using XF86Setup you can work your way through all the cards testing each one
in turn until you find the one that works best - similarly with the monitors
and then with the resolution and depth of colour.

Ian
--
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield UK