CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: CAD(ing) gears for later milling

Posted by IMService
on 2002-01-02 13:55:55 UTC
> Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 21:05:12 -0000
> From: "stevenson_engineers" <machines@...>
>Subject: Re: CAD(ing) gears for later milling
>
>--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "mszollar" <mszollar@g...> wrote:
>> I'm have a need to mill gears of various diamiters and teeth count
>> and would like to get an idea from persons in the know

>I believe Fred is going to offer a paid add on to Vector at a later
>date but don't quote me on this.
>These are aimed at the wire erosion market where cutter size isn't a
>problem.

1) Vector 9.3 (released November 1, 2001) includes involute gear design
capabilities at no additional charge. Both Metric Module and US DP gearing
are covered in the manual.

2) You cannot mill precision metal gears.

That having been said, there are a lot of people that have made something
like a gear, without any tight tolerances, using simple indexing and then
cutting with an involute dorm cutter. These cutters are available from places like J&L
and MSC. The Sherline web site I believe either has some for sale or else a
link to a place to buy them. These (the gears not the cutters) will often need
to be filed or sanded to work and may result in uneven power transmission
as the unavoidable variations in tooth contour and eccentricity are encountered.

whoompa, whompa, whoompa

The cad developed gear designs are sometimes used with 2 axis wire edm
machines to produce a to tolerance gear form, but the process of EDM
tends to cause some surface stresses, pitting, and annealing. This may result in
gears with teeth that will wear excessively.

If you want to make gears of plastic or wood, a milling cutter is probably
sufficient for hobby use. I would not recommend milling or EDM for critical
powertrain use.

Best Regards, Fred Smith- IMService

Listserve Special discounts and offers are at:
http://www.vectorcam.com/cced2.html

imserv@...

Discussion Thread

mszollar 2001-12-31 14:25:26 UTC CAD(ing) gears for later milling stevenson_engineers 2002-01-02 13:05:16 UTC Re: CAD(ing) gears for later milling IMService 2002-01-02 13:55:55 UTC Re: Re: CAD(ing) gears for later milling Smoke 2002-01-02 14:33:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: CAD(ing) gears for later milling imserv1 2002-01-02 14:53:18 UTC Re: CAD(ing) gears for later milling mszollar 2002-01-02 16:48:07 UTC Re: CAD(ing) gears for later milling imserv1 2002-01-02 17:14:28 UTC Re: CAD(ing) gears for later milling