CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CAD(ing) gears for later milling

Posted by mszollar
on 2002-01-02 16:48:07 UTC
My thought and understanding was that the best method (on a SHerline)
would be to have a cutter of the correct shape and run an mill
program that indexed the material (A axis) around the material. I
understand that it would not be the best to attempt to cut a gear on
flat surface. I'd be cutting gear in plastic or Delron, maybe
aluminum but not often.

Thanks,
Ken

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "stevenson_engineers" <machines@n...>
wrote:
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "mszollar" <mszollar@g...> wrote:
> > I'm have a need to mill gears of various diamiters and teeth
count
> > and would like to get an idea from persons in the know (aka; on
> >this
> > list) of how one might go about CAD(ing) gears so that I can have
> >my
> > CNC mill create them. All the gears (I'm thinking about) are
> > straight teeth (nothing helical; yet).
> >
> > Thanks,
>
> Ken,
> Not too sure if I understand the question correctly but if you are
> looking to follow the involute shape whilst the gear is laying flat
> ie, face up, then you will have a problem getting into the tooth
> space with a cutter.
> If you wish to cut them across the face then all you will need is a
> formed endmill to the correct profile and a means of indexing.
> Some CAM programs like Dolphin have an involute program built in.
> I believe Fred is going to offer a paid add on to Vector at a later
> date but don't quote me on this.
> These are aimed at the wire erosion market where cutter size isn't
> problem.
>
> John S.

Discussion Thread

mszollar 2001-12-31 14:25:26 UTC CAD(ing) gears for later milling stevenson_engineers 2002-01-02 13:05:16 UTC Re: CAD(ing) gears for later milling IMService 2002-01-02 13:55:55 UTC Re: Re: CAD(ing) gears for later milling Smoke 2002-01-02 14:33:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Re: CAD(ing) gears for later milling imserv1 2002-01-02 14:53:18 UTC Re: CAD(ing) gears for later milling mszollar 2002-01-02 16:48:07 UTC Re: CAD(ing) gears for later milling imserv1 2002-01-02 17:14:28 UTC Re: CAD(ing) gears for later milling