CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Software licensing, etc

ccs@... wrote:

> "IMService" wrote:
>
> >The customer has no "rights" to future maintenance, as we are not
> >selling that with the Vector license sale.
>
> I would like to point out that the exact nature of software 'sales' or
> 'licensing' and exact rights and responsabilities of the customer and
> vendor with regards to correction of defects, etc is an evolving area
> of law. In many cases, current law does not appear to support some of
> the claims and practices of the software industry. Partly due to
> this, publisher organizations are pushing a 'model' state law called
> the Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act (UCITA) which would
> give legal foundation for common license provisions and disclaimers.
> A few states have passed a version of this, but most have not due in
> part to the organized and vocal objection of individuals and
> businesses who buy software.

Gasp! UCITA also gives the producers of software enormous rights,
which go WAY beyond what even the 'new' department of justice has!
The software vendor would OWN the software, and could enter your
premises without a court order and remove the software from your
computer, at their discrecion, and examine all files on your computer.
It would be legal for a software vendor to enter your computer through
network connections and examine files on the computer, remotely
disable their software, or remotely disable the entire computer! I can't
believe ANY state could pass such legislation, except by not actually
reading it!

ccs@m... 2002-01-05 18:00:49 UTC Software licensing, etc Jon Elson 2002-01-05 23:20:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Software licensing, etc ballendo 2002-01-06 01:45:07 UTC UCITA, oh my! was Re: Software licensing, etc Jon Elson 2002-01-06 17:35:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] UCITA, oh my! was Re: Software licensing, etc fast1994gto 2002-01-06 18:01:34 UTC UCITA, oh my! was Re: Software licensing, etc ballendo 2002-01-06 23:39:47 UTC UCITA, oh my! (thank you)