CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch conversion to VFD

Posted by Paul Amaranth
on 2002-01-06 10:57:35 UTC
If you have lots of money, Monarch supplies a VFD conversion package
for the machine. That will get you up and running fast, if that's
important.

I know a fellow who did a really nice conversion on his 10ee to a
VFD drive. He made a few bits to mount the motor on the gear box;
worked out really nice.

$10K Cnd seems a little on the high end for a machine that you'll have
to do a motor conversion on. I got mine on the low end - $300 US, but
it's a project lathe.

You probably don't want to hog off a lot of metal on a 10ee; it's a
precision machine. If I want a 1/4 inch cut, I'll use my Leblond.

An alternative to a VFD is a solid state DC control, if the DC motor
is in good condition. This isn't all that hard to do, but you need
2 controllers: one for the armature and the other to do field weakening
to get to the top speed, plus a safety cutout in case the field supply
frazzes out.

Some lathes have a couple of belt drive speeds on the spindle and the
rest gear driven for better surface finish on high spindle speeds. My
LeBlond has 4 speeds where the spindle is belt driven. If you need to
do heavy cuts and you only have space for 1 lathe, look around for this
feature.

Paul

--
Paul Amaranth | Rochester MI, USA
Aurora Group, Inc. | Systems & Software

Discussion Thread

Marcus & Eva 2002-01-05 09:00:12 UTC Re: Monarch conversion to VFD David M. Munro 2002-01-05 12:04:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch conversion to VFD Brian 2002-01-05 14:52:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch conversion to VFD Jon Elson 2002-01-05 22:48:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch conversion to VFD Marcus & Eva 2002-01-06 08:37:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch conversion to VFD Marcus & Eva 2002-01-06 09:05:47 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch conversion to VFD Paul Amaranth 2002-01-06 10:57:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch conversion to VFD wanliker@a... 2002-01-06 13:07:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch conversion to VFD Marcus & Eva 2002-01-06 16:05:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch conversion to VFD Marcus & Eva 2002-01-06 16:20:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch conversion to VFD wanliker@a... 2002-01-06 16:27:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch conversion to VFD Marcus & Eva 2002-01-06 16:47:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch conversion to VFD Paul Amaranth 2002-01-07 04:05:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch conversion to VFD Marcus & Eva 2002-01-07 08:33:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch conversion to VFD Paul Amaranth 2002-01-07 09:03:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch conversion to VFD