CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Monarch EE...... YIKES

Posted by Marcus & Eva
on 2002-01-06 16:04:42 UTC
Hi DK:
The machine I've committed to has had the bed reground, the slides
rescraped and everything else inspected.
It has the electric leadscrew reverse, a collet setup, 3 and 4 jaw chucks,
and 4 position toolpost.
The machine has also been repainted.
They wanted $13,900.00 CDN for it, but they were unable to unload it for
over a year.(no surprise on a 12 x 20 machine at that kind of price...most
companies up this way need capacity, not precision)
I offered 10K for it in September if they could get the spindle up to speed.
They accepted, and that's when the fun with the speed control began.
I have seen Monarch 10EE's for as low as 500 bucks and as high as 32,000
bucks fully rebuilt.
I figured that with bed regrinding prices at about 3 grand, and scraping at
100 bucks an hour, this 10 grand machine is pricey, but worth the effort to
finish it off.
If they're not blatantly lying to me about the extent and quality of the
rebuild, then I can justify the price.
I did find a nice one in Florida a couple of months back, but the freight to
Vancouver made up the difference in price and then some!!
I'm gratified to hear about the power of the machine and its ability to take
a decent cut.
I build molds for a living; the machine needs to be able to rough down a
mold core reasonably efficiently, but more important, it needs to be able to
finish turn hardened tool steel smoothly enough to minimise polishing.
Your comments are making me inclined to think that the Monarch is the best
choice: now should it be THIS Monarch?
I appreciate your input.
Cheers

Marcus