CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: CAM software to Controller compatability

Posted by chewy8833
on 2002-01-08 06:23:44 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "uhdie1" <p_uhd@f...> wrote:

> For instance Cadlink Profilre lab outputs in HPGL
> direct controllers? So you need controlers that understand HPGL
> as opposed to G Code? Ideally I would like to start trialing my
> machine with the old DANCAM shareware which I already have and then
> upgrade to professional software when my machine is working and will
> be ready to generate some income for me. But again I am concerned
> about compatability problems. If any one can help to clear the air
on
> this area or point me in the direction of some tech info site or
> something like 'CNC for Dummies' !
> I would be most grateful.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter Uhd

Peter

A few things to help you understand ,.... Cad >>> Cam >>>
Control Software ( Interpreter ) >> Machine Controller

The Cam software generates the tollbooths ( can be Gcode ). The
Interpreter translates this to signals ,..can be step and direction
The machine controller takes these signals and translates to signals
to move the motors.

I like cam programs that generate Gcode because I find it easy to read
and understand where my tool bit should be in every line of
code ,... makes it easy for me to make changes . Sometimes I may add
a stop code where my cam program did not so I can
remove a dust shield before the next milling operation.

Also I believe that by using Gcode output you will find more software
to try. Both , in the cam and controller software
department.

My final setup is Cad (IGS ) >>> Cam ( Gcode ) >>>> Interpreter (
EMC ) >> Controller ( Gecko G320 servo drives ).

I like stand alone programs and standardization. It give you great
flexibility.

Frank

Discussion Thread

uhdie1 2002-01-08 04:30:58 UTC CAM software to Controller compatability chewy8833 2002-01-08 06:23:44 UTC Re: CAM software to Controller compatability