CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]Plastics2) anyone familiar with machining saxophone MP bores?

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 2002-01-13 19:39:33 UTC
Ian Wright wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
>
> Matt:- The material is clear. As the thing is a bit experimental yet, I am
> using a length of 2" diameter Perspex rod I found while I was still at work.
> I think it came off a display stand and so I would guess its probably
> extruded (assuming this is the cheapest type).

It probably is extruded.

> Tim:- I am trying with this Perspex as I think this is what the commercial
> moutpieces use. In the past I have tried other plastics such as nylon and
> PolyPenco and I have found that they react adversely with my skin and
> quickly produce a rash.

I'll repeat my recommedation for polycarbonate. It's tougher than
acrylic and although not specifically hypoallergenic, its use in
eyeglass frames and lenses indicates general biocompatibility (what a
word!).

Also suitable for human implantation:
http://www.polymertech.com/Bionate.htm

Matt

Discussion Thread

Ian Wright 2002-01-13 16:18:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]Plastics2) anyone familiar with machining saxophone MP bores? Matt Shaver 2002-01-13 19:39:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO]Plastics2) anyone familiar with machining saxophone MP bores?