CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Encoder location

Posted by vrsculptor
on 2002-01-15 14:01:20 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., ccs@m... wrote:

> When driving a leadscrew via a timing belt and closed loop servo,
> should the encoder go on the motor or on the screw?
Chris,
My large 4hp servo mill (Tree Journeyman 300) came with encoders
mounted three different ways:
- X axis on the end of the leadscrew, motor drive via belt.
- Y axis motor and encoder driven off two separate belts.
- Z axis motor and encoder driven off the same belt. The belt has
teeth on both sides.

I've used Marris' new and old style Gecko's on the machine without
any problems. The new ones should be better as they don't hunt at
idle but I can't ell the difference at 8K steps/inch.

Moral: I don't think its much of an issue. About any configuration
should work if your careful and think things through. My machine is
very precise and repeatable.

Roger

PS. Don't beat on me guys, I'm just the messenger. Tree did it in
1985 and its worked well since :-)

Discussion Thread

ccs@m... 2002-01-15 13:06:20 UTC Encoder location vrsculptor 2002-01-15 14:01:20 UTC Re: Encoder location Jon Elson 2002-01-15 21:59:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Encoder location