CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: point cloud to STL code - taking suggestions for features

Posted by imserv1
on 2002-01-16 03:31:50 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Doug Fortune <pentam@h...> wrote:

> Last week I contributed some source code which takes
> a rectangular grid of digitized elevations, and outputs
> an STL (surface triangulated layer) file for subsequent
> conversion to gcode by other software (STLworks, Millwizard,
> Deskproto, etc).

> Some of the reasonable suggestions I got were:
> - mirror (top-down, left-right, and inverse height)
> (inverse height is to make female molds from a
> digitized male object).
>
> - axis stretching (any or all of X,Y & Z)

Doug, All those suggestions are already included n StlWorks and
Accutrans. Since Accutrans is only $20 all by itself, I'm not too
sure that your efforts would be too helpful.

What would be helpful for people making 3D parts would be an
automated method of adding sprues or tabs around the contour. This
would enable people to use a Flatish piece of material, carve the top
1/2 of the model from the solid. Flip the part over and carve the
bottom 1/2. The problem right now is that in order to do this, you
have to open the STL model in a modeling program and add cylinders at
appropriate points, blend them with the stl file and then resave the
model.

My suggestion would be to define the material stock size, define the
location of one (or many if multiples were useful) copies of the
model, The margin of material around th outside and around each copy,
and the size of the connecting rods that you wanted to use.

This capability would add greatly to the ease with which hobbyists
can product 3D parts and will also save a lot of time.

Best Regards,

Fred Smith
IMService

Group specials and discounts are at:

http://www.vectorcam.com/cced2.html

Discussion Thread

Doug Fortune 2002-01-15 21:53:42 UTC point cloud to STL code - taking suggestions for features imserv1 2002-01-16 03:31:50 UTC Re: point cloud to STL code - taking suggestions for features vrsculptor 2002-01-16 08:55:15 UTC Re: point cloud to STL code - taking suggestions for features