CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re Taps and Tapping

Paul wrote:

> And whilst on the subject of tapping tips - When tapping small blind holes,
> pop a "sausage" of Plastacine (modeling clay in the USA??) in to the hole. It
> helps to both lubricate and clear the chips as the tap goes in.
> Learnt this one from an old model maker.

Small Parts, Inc. sells tapping wax, which is compounded from wax and threading
oils. The wax extrudes up the flutes of the hole, forcing the chips out, and
providing threading lube at the same time. I have tried it, but at least in
aluminum, spiral fluted taps and alum-tap fluid is even better. The spiral
(really helical) flutes bring a curly chip, like a drill chip, up the flutes.
In materials which will only produce crumbly chips, the tapping wax
may save a lot of trouble.

Russell Dunn 2002-01-16 13:12:00 UTC Re Taps and Tapping Area51tats@a... 2002-01-16 14:27:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re Taps and Tapping Paul 2002-01-16 15:06:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re Taps and Tapping Jon Elson 2002-01-16 22:54:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re Taps and Tapping