CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: C or C++?

Posted by fast1994gto
on 2002-01-20 14:49:41 UTC
If all you really want to do is mess with EMC and perhaps other Linux
sources, vanilla C should suffice. In order to work with the EMC
sources you need a thorough understandnig of C and advanced data
structures. The latter can be gleened by scrutinizing the sources.
C is very easy to pick up at first blush with some oddball nuances
that stump neophytes. For plain old C go to the source: K&R.
You'll be coding C in no time. The EMC architecture utilizes
polymorphism but it does not employ C++ to pull it off.

Ultimately it depends upon the individual of course. However, in
general, I personally believe C++ is the best place to start. With
well in excess of 20 years in the software development game
(ack...going on 25 this year :\) I consistently find that the very
best programmers are those who embrace C++ and its concepts early.
The skills honed are readily practical and prove portable to other
platforms as the case may dictate. The converse is not always true
for other languages.

Had I my way everyone would learn assembly language first, but that's
considered a bit radical these days...

Barry

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "jtfrimenko" <jtf@d...> wrote:
> Programming languages: which one should I start learning? They
appear
> to be very different. Is polymorphism, STL, operator overloading,
and
> vectors necessary to work with EMC source? It's been many years
> since I did any programming, and things sure have gotten more
> complicated............no more cassette basic;-)
>
> john

Discussion Thread

jtfrimenko 2002-01-20 13:45:40 UTC C or C++? fast1994gto 2002-01-20 14:49:41 UTC Re: C or C++? Russell Shaw 2002-01-20 15:44:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] C or C++?