CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: blowing fuses

on 2002-01-21 19:18:11 UTC
Hi dave,

Shouldn't be blowing fuses! No L/R resistors to configure. How about
with the motor disconnected? If it still blows the fuse, it's FRIED!

Doesn't look like many options on the motor setup, other then
connections. I looked at the document for the driver. Could be useful.

I'm waiting for a 2-axis, $45 parallel port stepper driver from this
company:

http://steppercontrol.com/index.htm

Which might also be of interest to those wishing to try simple, low cost
stepper controllers.

Alan KM6VV

dave_ace_me wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> I ran the multi meter across the leads before setting up the unit and
> tested the stepper on the bench before putting on the machine.
>
> all seemed fine.
>
> I know the stepper works without a load, and it is a
> 6 wire unipolar stepper and I did confirm that from the
> manufacturers PDF files.
>
> I did not calculate the L/R resistors to limit the current as I
> ASSumed it would work well with what I thought was a light load.
>
> and this being my first time implementing a stepper, I'm not sure of
> all the necessary steps to take to make sure I didn't make any
> mistakes. Guess I need to go back and read more tutorials on how to
> use steppers.
>
> Dave
>
> ( I voted YES to both poll questiosn, if it has to do with metal
> working then I want to know about it.)
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > Haven't heard of Chapps, and a simple search didn't find it. URL?
> >
> > Shorted winding? Is the Vectra stepper a six lead? perhaps a
> winding
> > is switched. Did you calculate the L/R resistor(s) to limit the
> motor
> > current?
> >
> > Probably need more to go on.
> >
> > Alan KM6VV
> >

> > dave_ace_me wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I installed a NEMA 23 stepper on my drill press and put on a
> timing
> > > belt. I am using a 60 tooth large gear and a 16 tooth drive gear.
> > > 3.75: 1 drive ratio.
> > >
> > > The VEXTA stepper is 5.4 volts, 1.5 amps. Unipolar.
> > >
> > > Tried to take 100 steps as a test.
> > >
> > > No movement, then pop, blew the 4 amp fuse on the power supply.
> > >
> > > After the second fuse blew, I figured I better refer to a higher
> > > authority.
> > >
> > > I know I did something wrong, but I'm not sure what.
> > >
> > > I was using a Chapps, serial port stepper controller as the
> stepper
> > > controller.
> > >
> > > Any ideas ?
> > > Need more information ?
> > >
> > > Dave

Discussion Thread

dave_ace_me 2002-01-21 17:06:59 UTC blowing fuses Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-01-21 17:35:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] blowing fuses dave_ace_me 2002-01-21 18:29:00 UTC Re: blowing fuses Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-01-21 19:18:11 UTC Re: blowing fuses