CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: What is the difference between Center Cutting vs Non-Center Cutting End Mills?

Posted by yethdear0
on 2002-01-22 04:02:31 UTC
Howdy!

If you look directly at the end of a center cutting end mill, it will
have a sharpened flute all the way across the end. A non-center
cutting endmill has a centerdrill shaped hole in the end where the
manufacturer has place the cutter between centers to grind the cutter
and obviously this spot won't cut.

Technically, you are able to plunge straight down in Z with a center
cutting endmill and it will cut. If you do this with a non center
cutting endmill, it will load up with material in the center hole,
break and either damage your part or machine or both.

Actually, even with a center cutting endmill, there is still a "dead"
spot in the middle that doesn't really cut. Even plunging a
centercutting endmill produces a lot of thrust on your machine's
axis. I personally will program a ramp move or if space is tight, I
will program a helical move to get my cutter to depth. This maneuver
makes for a lot less force on your machine and only takes a few
seconds more to get to depth

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., glee@i... wrote:

> I'm looking at the latest Airgas flyer with end-mill specials. They
have
> "Non-center cutting" end mills.
>
> Is this a way of describing if the end mill can cut from the end vs
the
> sides?
>
> Sorry for asking what may be a simple question.
>

> -Eric

Discussion Thread

glee@i... 2002-01-21 23:53:22 UTC What is the difference between Center Cutting vs Non-Center Cutting End Mills? James Owens 2002-01-22 01:55:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What is the difference between Center Cutting vs Non-Center Cutting End Mills? yethdear0 2002-01-22 04:02:31 UTC Re: What is the difference between Center Cutting vs Non-Center Cutting End Mills? stevenson_engineers 2002-01-22 08:48:44 UTC Re: What is the difference between Center Cutting vs Non-Center Cutting End Mills? Brian 2002-01-22 15:45:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] What is the difference between Center Cutting vs Non-Center Cutting End Mills?