CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Instant EMC

on 1999-11-05 12:09:57 UTC
Something that I've been meaning to ask, and this reminded me:
Is there a problem running the latest version of XFREE86 on Red Hat 5.2?
It seems to me that this would solve a lot of problems. The newest version
of XFREE supports an lot more video cards than the old version distributed
with RH5.2. I've been meaning to check it out, but I'm running RH6.0 on my
good PC, and 5.2/xfree installed just fine on the 100Mhz Compaq I'm
reserving for my shop.

Marshall

----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Werby <drewid@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Sent: Friday, November 05, 1999 6:03 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Instant EMC

> From: Andrew Werby <drewid@...>
>

> Message: 14
> Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 00:35:54 -0600
> From: Jon Elson <jmelson@...>
> Subject: Re: Digest Number 237
>

> Andrew Werby wrote:
> >
> > [You don't want to drive your Humvee? Where in the world are you? I
could
> > probably afford to fly you in from say, San Jose. (Do you like your
> > Gatorade warm or cold?) It's pretty nice here right now, but changeable.
If
> > you really know your way around the guts of old milling machines, lets
> > talk. Then all I have to do is find someone to send me an EMC control
> > system that will take the place of its tiny little brain as seamlessly
as
> > possible. Jon? Paul? ]
>
> Well, you probably don't want to fly me out from St. Louis. But, I'd be
glad
> to make a clone of my 1 GB disk for you. That has RH 5.2, with the
> real-time patched 2.0.36 kernel, ethernet networking, XFree86, and a
> June 99 (I think) version of EMC. It would be no big deal to put in the
> latest version from NIST, especially if you will be using steppers.
>
> Jon
>
> [That sounds good- would this be on a CD or another hard disk? What issues
> would I face in trying to install this in an existing computer? Or would I
> be better off starting from scratch, getting all the EMC-recommended
> compatible parts? (Where's the list on all this stuff?) After all the
> horror stories I've heard about it rejecting video cards, etc, I'd like to
> play it safe. Actually, I've got a stepper project started, using a
> Camtronics board and those 650 oz/in Oriental motors, and I'd also like to
> use it on my servo-equipped mill, when I've got it sorted out. Does the
> latest NIST version have a problem with servos? How much would this cost?]
>
> Andrew Werby
>
> Andrew Werby - United Artworks
> Sculpture, Jewelry, and Other Art Stuff
> http://unitedartworks.com
>
> > Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the
discussion of shop built systems in the above catagories.
> To Unsubscribe, read archives, change to or from digest.
> Go to: http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi
> Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
> For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
> bill,
> List Manager

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 1999-11-05 03:03:53 UTC Re: Instant EMC Marshall Pharoah 1999-11-05 12:09:57 UTC Re: Re: Instant EMC Jon Elson 1999-11-05 13:24:48 UTC Re: Re: Instant EMC Ian Wright 1999-11-05 12:40:24 UTC Re: Re: Instant EMC Matt Shaver 1999-11-05 15:05:26 UTC Re: Re: Instant EMC Jon Elson 1999-11-05 15:50:13 UTC Re: Re: Instant EMC Ian Wright 1999-11-06 14:37:37 UTC Re: Re: Instant EMC