CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Transformer sizing?

on 2002-01-23 06:35:45 UTC
When you talk of Volt-Amps, realize that a transformer's output current is
determined by the wire size. Volt-Amps will change, depending on the input
voltage to the transformer. Assume that you have a transformer rated at 220
volts input and 100 volts output has an output rating of 100 volt amps. The
secondary should be capable of supplying 1 amp. If you run this transformer
from a variac so that the output is only 50 volts, you can still only expect
it to deliver 1 amp, so the Volt-Amp rating drops to 50 Volt-Amps.

-- Carol & Jerry Jankura
Strongsville, Ohio
So many toys, so little time....