CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How many inch/oz for a rotary axis?

Posted by Tony Jeffree
on 2002-01-23 06:51:14 UTC
This will depend greatly on how free the worm drive/table bearings are. I
have a Sherline rotary table (72:1 worm) that I drive successfully with a
small type 23 stepper - it is probably less than 100 oz/in, but the
Sherline table has ball bearings on the worm shaft & table spindle, and
requires very little torque on the worm shaft to overcome the friction.

It is easy enough to determine how much torque your table needs to turn the
worm - simply attach a lever to the worm shaft & hang weights on it at a
known distance from the worm axis.

Regards,
Tony

At 14:37 23/01/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>Gentlemen,
>Any sugestion on how many inch/oz you need on a 4th axis rotary axis
>for milling? The rotary table has a 40:1 worm reduction so I wouldn't
>think you would need much. I was looking at using one of the smaller
>pitman servos with a Gecko 320.

Discussion Thread

vrsculptor 2002-01-23 06:37:29 UTC How many inch/oz for a rotary axis? Tony Jeffree 2002-01-23 06:51:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How many inch/oz for a rotary axis? Gail & Bryan Harries 2002-01-23 07:43:23 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] How many inch/oz for a rotary axis? ballendo 2002-01-23 21:04:54 UTC Re: How many inch/oz for a rotary axis?