CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Threaded Rod WORKS!

Posted by CL
on 2002-01-23 09:56:21 UTC
I know there was some confusion as to the original posters intent and
application of the question.

Clearly, your point is valid. Everyone must decide just how much he can
budget for the project, then determine just what his exact needs are. I
subscribe fully to the "build what is needed" concept.

For those who really start from scratch in order to learn, I always like to
recommend some of the fine "package" offerings that are now available out
there using NEMA 17's or 23's. Sure, pretty small, but you can learn a lot
with spending little. Another really great option is to get your hands on an
older larger format Pen Plotter. Retro the control, Hang on a Diamond tip
tool and do some diamond drag engraving!

Those are great ways of getting your feet wet.

Getting your feet wet by building a CNC Router though....? Well, the only
warning I make is that the "work" involved of building a machine is about the
same. You "need" a reasonable way to allow for "linear movement", You need a
"drive mechanism" to move it there, you need a method to "control it" from a
PC, and you need it to be as "rigid" as possible to be worth the effort. To
do all of this, you can burn up a lot of time designing.

If you are going thru all that "work" to design and build it, and make it
run...... using slightly better components will likely be beneficial in the
long run. If it works a little better than expected, you might not be forced
as quickly into starting completely over! A RC model body and its overall
dimension and accuracy levels are one thing. All of the little dinky
components underneath are really something else. Some of the components I
look at for RC Helicopters can be very impressive. One must really consider
just what you want to end up making.

To me, the real "learning" part comes in when you find out, "gee, I should
have done this" or "if I only used that instead". "Time" IS our most
precious commodity. These days, you can get "money" anywhere !

Which brings to mind.... Maybe I need to buy a few 6 foot sticks of Leadscrew
and offer it available by the inch on e-bay for those who need short pieces
! (like the 6"X6" example)

See ! (making) "money" really is easy - (anywhere) !

Chris L