CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Plasma Voltage Servo

Posted by aspaguy
on 2002-01-24 19:53:47 UTC
Ballendo,
I'm not quite sure what a 4016 Quad switch is, but I suspect it's
some type of solid state IC relay.
The air cylinder makes some sense, but the purpose in having Mariss
design the circuit was to eliminate the need for a Z axis mounted on
a Z axis. I allready have a z axis with about 12" of travel.
conventional torch height controllers are independant of the cnc
system and operate via a dc moter. they also cost about $1800.
Mariss's circuit will allow me to utilize my existing z axis to
control the height. The only problem is that the circuit maintains
approximately a 1/16" tolerance of travel. this is terrific for
cutting, but I would like to utilize the rest of my z travel between
cuts to avoid "crashes" with the work at traverse speeds. My question
is 1. will step and direction signals from 2 different sources
(Mariss's Circuit and the computer)Conflict with each other if they
are wired to the same drive even if they arent giving commands at the
same time? And 2. If they do conflict, could a Double pole double
throw relay at the drive input set up so as to toggle between the
two command sources when ordered to toggle by a spindle moter
command. I probably wouldnt tie it to the plasma on off command
because I would like the torch to lower before the plasma turns on
and raise after it turns off. Again the air system is a nice Idea,
But I'm trying to reduce the need for extra mechanical assemblies if
I can accomplish it all with the same Z axis.
Thanks, Dale

---
In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "ballendo" <ballendo@y...> wrote:
> Dale,
>
> A 4016 quad switch could work, but...
>
> You could use an air cylinder to move the whole z in a large move
> provide clearance. This was done on some old multi head machines to
> save the cost of drives for additional z axes. (The slide
containing
> the multiple heads was under computer control, and each spindle had
> an air cylinder to "select" it into cutting position).
>
> As you suggest, this air cylinder(clearance move) could be tied to
> the on/off of the plasma torch.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ballendo
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "aspaguy" <spaguy@l...> wrote:
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "aspaguy" <spaguy@l...> wrote:
> > > Mariss and Tom, In the "real world" the theory has been being
> used
> > > for some time in commercial applications, it just controls the
> > > direction of a dc moter by reversing polarity rather than
using
> > > stepper.
> > > Also Mariss, I wonder how hard it would be to add a feature
of
> > the
> > > axis being raised all the way up when the voltage drops to
zero,
> > then
> > > lowers again to the previous height when the plasma is
activated
> > > again. this would be to give more safety room between cuts to
> avoid
> > > tip ups, etc. from damaging the plasma cutter. I would assume
> this
> > > would need to be handled in the software. What would happen if
> > were
> > > to wire up both this circuit and a computer output to the same
> > gecko
> > > drive? In theory, they would be not be sending commands at the
> same
> > > time.
> > > Thanks,

Dale

> > Mariss, or others,
> > It occurred to me after posting the above message that I could
> > probably use a software command such as one normally designated
> > turning on and off a spindle to Activate or deactivate a DPDT
relay
> > in order to toggle back and forth between computer control and
> torch
> > voltage control. The two poles of the relay would switch the step
> and
> > direction inputs. What do you think? Is this even neccesary?
> > Thanks, Dale
> >

> > > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "mariss92705"
> <mariss92705@y...>

> frequency
> > > trimpot
> and
> > > 140V.

> > > actual
> waveform.
> > to?
> > need

> subject.
> something
> > > of
> the
> > > top
> its
> > > way
> at
> > > the
> > > back

> > > proposed
> this

> > > case)
> > > trick

Discussion Thread

mariss92705 2002-01-22 17:55:48 UTC Plasma Voltage Servo JanRwl@A... 2002-01-22 23:41:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Plasma Voltage Servo ths992001 2002-01-23 08:37:38 UTC Re: Plasma Voltage Servo mariss92705 2002-01-23 08:51:55 UTC Re: Plasma Voltage Servo aspaguy 2002-01-23 20:02:47 UTC Re: Plasma Voltage Servo ballendo 2002-01-23 21:49:26 UTC Re: Plasma Voltage Servo aspaguy 2002-01-23 22:21:36 UTC Re: Plasma Voltage Servo aspaguy 2002-01-23 22:40:06 UTC Re: Plasma Voltage Servo ballendo 2002-01-24 00:59:01 UTC Re: Plasma Voltage Servo aspaguy 2002-01-24 19:53:47 UTC Re: Plasma Voltage Servo ccs@m... 2002-01-24 21:07:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Plasma Voltage Servo aspaguy 2002-01-24 22:35:36 UTC Re: Plasma Voltage Servo ballendo 2002-01-25 06:32:26 UTC 4016 info was Re: Plasma Voltage Servo ths992001 2002-01-25 13:10:04 UTC Re: Plasma Voltage Servo ballendo 2002-01-25 13:39:35 UTC a switchless home was Re: Plasma Voltage Servo ths992001 2002-01-25 13:51:21 UTC Re: Plasma Voltage Servo k8zre 2002-01-26 16:27:15 UTC Re: Plasma Voltage Servo byron@w... 2002-01-29 00:40:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Plasma Voltage Servo ron_routledge 2002-02-02 18:57:28 UTC Re: Plasma Voltage Servo