CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Acme Threaded rod

Posted by JanRwl@A...
on 2002-01-28 14:51:39 UTC
In a message dated 28-Jan-02 14:05:10 Central Standard Time,
lahuskins@... writes:

> I am building from thr ground up a XYZ table. I have a chance to
> purchase 3' lengths of acme threaded rod, and was woundering what
> pitch or thread I should get. Also should I purchase the nuts to go
> with it, or use a plastic type of threaded block to interface the rod
> with the table ect.

Matt: If you must use the ACME threads, if the table is smallish, and you
want "inch measure", then go for 0.1" pitch. If larger, say over 30" x 36"
or more, perhaps 0.2" pitch. (That is same as a "Bridgeport" [type of]
vertical mill). AND, 0.2" pitch means every step, if you use standard
steppers, would be 0.001". Neat when doing the math.

OR, if you wanna go METRIC, then 2 mm pitch, or 4 mm pitch, but the latter is
a bit coarse for precision metalworking, if faster in operation. Depends on
so many "personal preferences" and needs, etc. If speed of move is not a
consideration, then 2 mm pitch would be ideal. With that, your steps would
be 0.01 mm/step, (or less than 0.0004"/step).

I know nothing of servos/encoders. Never went there. Lotsa luck! Jan
Rowland, old Troll

mlhuskins73135 2002-01-28 12:03:59 UTC Acme Threaded rod JanRwl@A... 2002-01-28 14:51:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Acme Threaded rod