CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: More info on Smart Motors

Posted by methadras
on 2002-01-28 23:37:30 UTC
he is going to work on it in beta mode for another year or so, adding
more g- and m-codes, more user input, tweaking code, tightening code,
etc. etc...

but he said that after that is all done that he will probably charge
in the neighborhood of $300 or so, but if you beta test the software
he will sell the final at a substantial reduction... i'm already
doing simulations trying to see if i can generate some errors... i
told him that i was going to post process some stuff using
surfcam/mastercam and see how his VNC takes in the g-code and what
errors it will generate or ignore... that's what i know so far...

asmodeus

2
> > guys i talked to are still using the same motors for the last 5
years
> > without a hitch and all of the other guys are still using their
> > motors for the last couple of years... so far, just from these
guys
> > i've talked to these motors are pretty tough nuggets that can
handle
> > the work...
> >
> > now here is the tricky part or maybe not so tricky depending on
your
> > point of view...
> >
> > you can serially daisy chain the motors together with rs-232 or
rs-
> > 485 or you can use animatics rail for serial I/O and power
instead of
> > the daisy chain method... this is a huge, huge plus for me
because it
> > nearly eliminates the need to purchase drivers, a box, all the
> > wiring, and/or a controller... animatics sells their own
proprietary
> > VNC software for about $1000 and there is a third party developer
> > that i've talked to personally at www.clemsoft.com that has
written a
> > really nice interface for the smart motor specifically... its
still
> > in beta and has a simulation mode built in... its written for
windows
> > 98/nt/2000 and i've downloaded it, but havn't run it yet... he is
> > pretty dedicated to its development and he an i exchanged lots of
> > ideas that he seemed fairly enthusiastic about... go check out the
> > website for the software and email the guy about any info...
well, i
> > guess, that is if you really care...
> >
> > also he told me that the smart motors will and can use stepper
motor
> > instructions... here are his own words from an email exchange
that he
> > and i had and i must say its very promising and interesting;
> >
> > "In fact, did you know that any smartmotor can be configured for
> > pulse/direction input? In this mode, neither the animatics vnc
nor my
> > software will work... but the huge amount of software written for
> > steppers motors driven from the parallel port, will work better
than
> > ANY stepper ever thought it could work.... And I'm familiar with
at
> > least 10 people who have Dos/Windows based parallel port cnc
> > solutions and are using it in this mode as well. One warning
here...
> > I doubt if you could get to 300-500 ipm with a parallel port
driver
> > system (since steppers can't do 5000 rpm like the smartmotors),
but
> > you definitely can with the SmartMotor."
> >
> > personally i think i've found my solution to my cnc retrofit...
the
> > software looks like it will do about 80% - 90% of what i want...
the