CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: RT Linux

Posted by Ian Wright
on 1999-11-09 14:37:23 UTC
Thanks Jon,

I looked at the HOW-TO but couldn't see anything which seemed to correlate
with anything written on these cards but I assumed that, since they seem to
have the word 'ethernet' on them a number of times, they would probably be
supported, at least, by some kind of generic driver - perhaps not.

Ian
--
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield UK

----- Original Message -----
From: Jon Elson <jmelson@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@onelist.com>
Sent: 09 November 1999 22:40
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RT Linux

> From: Jon Elson <jmelson@...>
>

> Ian Wright wrote:
>
> > From: "Ian Wright" <Ian@...>
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can someone remind me please since my memory seems to be on a go-slow -
> > want to build a new kernel to include network card support (Ethernet),
do I
> > need to reinstall RTlinux afterwards or is this a separate 'program'
which
> > the kernel will find itself? Alternatively, I have a suspicion that I
may
> > have said 'yes' to the Ethernet modules when I built the original kernel
but
> > it doesn't seem to recognise the Ethernet card I put in the box. A
'dmesg'
> > command doesn't show any 'eth0' devices as detected but when I do a
> > 'modprobe eth16i -v' I get a message saying that the hardware is busy or
> > something similar which doesn't seem to add up. I'm not sure exactly
what
> > the network cards are I have obtained but they say on them 'Intel 8/16
LAN
> > adapter' and have a small chip near the edge which gives an 'ethernet
> > address' in hexadecimal. Can anyone offer any help please?
>
> You will have to identify the ethernet card. It may or may not
> be a supported type. There is a how-to for ethernet that goes to
> enormous detail to describe the various drivers, and what boards they
> handle. You should download this file from the RedHat site.
>
> Jon
>
> > Welcome to CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@...,an unmoderated list for the
discussion of shop built systems in the above catagories.
> To Unsubscribe, read archives, change to or from digest.
> Go to: http://www.onelist.com/isregistered.cgi
> Log on, and you will go to Member Center, and you can make changes there.
> For the FAQ, go to http://www.ktmarketing.com/faq.html
> bill,
> List Manager

Discussion Thread

Ian Wright 1999-11-09 14:14:09 UTC RT Linux Jon Elson 1999-11-09 14:40:17 UTC Re: RT Linux Ian Wright 1999-11-09 14:37:23 UTC Re: RT Linux Steve Carlisle 1999-11-09 21:17:24 UTC Re: RT Linux Jon Elson 1999-11-09 23:33:24 UTC Re: RT Linux paul@x... 1999-11-10 07:28:48 UTC Re: RT Linux Jon Elson 1999-11-10 23:06:25 UTC Re: RT Linux