CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Threaded Rod/ long length nuts

Posted by Doug Fortune
on 2002-01-29 19:29:02 UTC
vrsculptor wrote:

> Gents,
> If I followed the thread correctly on threaded rod backlash
> isn't a problem if you use a plastic nut.

I would not say just using a plastic nut reduces backlash
(well it might appear so because threading compresses the
plastic, and it springs back making a tighter fit... but
that tighter fit will eventually wear away).

I would say: backlash can be reduced to near nil if the
length-to-diameter ratio is 3 or above, plastic or otherwise
(these are sometimes called 'coupling nuts').

This appears to hold true for not only Acme, but also SAE
threads and probably most arbitrary threads.

Another advantage of longer nuts is more even wear, and
lighter loading due to the increased surface area.

Doug Fortune
http://www.cncKITS.com

Discussion Thread

Doug Fortune 2002-01-29 19:29:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Threaded Rod/ long length nuts