CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Rhino and the Database (was: Re: Hello, and a CAM question....)

Posted by Andrew Werby
on 2002-01-30 10:00:23 UTC
Message: 9
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:10:15 GMT
From: montejw@...
Subject: Re: Hello, and a CAM question....

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:02:47 -0000, you wrote:

>|> I have Rhino 3D for the CAD part and I've got
>|> enought hours on it to make it do what I want to do. It's the CAM
>|> part I don't have.
>|
>|Same situation but I'll only have a lathe at first. How much was Rhino 3D?
>|
>|John H.

John,
I got into it long ago when it first came out at a special price. It's
about $800-$900 US now I think. Check on http://www.rhino3d.com . It's
a great 3d design program. Dimensioning is low on the priority (but
getting better) with easy accurate 3d design being the main goal. It
excels at that. You can build some really complex shapes with it. Lots
of people use for doing organic modeling, besides mechanical. Lots of
file import and export options, rendering, and other stuff.

Monte

[McNeel did just raise their price on Rhino (to $895), and I'm about to- but
I haven't done it yet. I've still got it for $550, or $725 with Flamingo,
their new rendering engine. But even when I raise my price, sometime next
month, it will still be considerably below list.

I just put an entry about Rhino into the database, but I had some questions
about that. Is the database searchable? It seems like it's set up to do
that, but it wasn't obvious how that works. As it grows to hundreds of
programs, this would be increasingly useful. Would a program like Atomz
http://www.atomz.com/ help, and could it be plugged into the Yahoo site?
Also, it looked like any list member can go in and "edit" the entries,
anonymously. I can't blame Fred for being reluctant to open his products up
for disparagement, when it seems perfectly possible to change the comments
to "This is an overpriced piece of junk" or some such. Shouldn't these
entries at least be signed, so we know whose opinion is being expressed? Or
would we all be jointly liable for any slanderous comments posted there? ]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Discussion Thread

Andrew Werby 2002-01-30 10:00:23 UTC Rhino and the Database (was: Re: Hello, and a CAM question....) John Heritage-UK 2002-01-30 11:29:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rhino and the Database (was: Re: Hello, and a CAM question....) ballendo 2002-01-30 11:56:27 UTC answering Andrews database questions was Rhino and the Database ballendo 2002-01-30 12:15:46 UTC Re: answering Andrews database questions (follow-up)