CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: using printer motors

Posted by cncdxf
on 2002-02-01 18:01:53 UTC
Elliot,
There are so many printers out there! The newer ones
are controlled by a micro. CNC machines for the most part use
step/direction signals. The micro in the newer type printers
provide the control to the motor circuit. You need to cut traces and
add the circuits found on the sites I recommened to you. It is
obvious you are looking for some kind of magic! It won't happen with
the newer printers. Older printers have more discrete parts and they
can be rewired to do plotting and engraving.

Bob

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Elliot Burke" <elliot@h...> wrote:
> Bob,
> I suppose what I wrote wasn't clear.
>
> The question is:
> Is it possible to cut a few traces in the printer and supply low
level
> signals to the circuitry already in the printer, in order to
control it?

> The printer has the necessary power supply and control electronics,
I want
> to hijack them for my purposes.
>
> Simply sending a print file to the printer won't do the job.
>
> Many people have made their own stepper driver boards, I would
prefer to
> recyle one that already exists.
>
> The board has two UDN2917EB chips, which are stepper motor
drivers. They
> are probably connected to a microprocessor on board, so breaking
into the
> circuit there would make some sense.
>
> If this path is not well traveled, then I shall report here the
results of
> my experiments.
>
> Elliot
>
> Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 20:06:40 -0000
> From: "cncdxf" <cncdxf@a...>
> Subject: Re: using printer motors
>
> Elliot,
> Pay no attention to the man behind that curtain!
>

> Check out:
>
> http://www.luberth.com/plotter/plotter.htm
>
> Click on the links on the left hand side. They are places
> where people build CNC machines and plotters from printer
> parts. Check out Florin.
>
> Bob
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@y..., "Elliot Burke" <elliot@h...> wrote:
> > Has anyone hacked a Epson inkjet printer? I have a model 600.
> > The across the paper mechanism looks like it will work for a
> project.
> > There is a power supply, motor driver, slides, belt.
> >
> > How to get pulses from my computer to the Epson (stepper?) motor?
> >
> > A schematic might help.
> >
> > Ideas?

Discussion Thread

Elliot Burke 2002-02-01 10:04:19 UTC using printer motors Ian W. Wright 2002-02-01 10:27:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] using printer motors cncdxf 2002-02-01 12:06:43 UTC Re: using printer motors Elliot Burke 2002-02-01 17:26:00 UTC re: Re: using printer motors cncdxf 2002-02-01 18:01:53 UTC Re: using printer motors