CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] drilling techniques for plastic to get specific sized hole?

Posted by Marcus & Eva
on 2002-02-01 19:04:15 UTC
Hi All:
I had a job once making some insect habitats for the space station.
Lots of precision bores in Delrin.
I tried every damned method under the sun to get the bores straight,
parallel, round and on size.
Best way I found, bar none, is to helical mill them.
Single point boring trashes the hole because the chips pile up and scuff the
finish.
Reamers cut undersize and create weird bell shaped holes.
Poking down a cutter; same problem.
Drilling; rough, non round holes of all kinds of sizes from the same drill.
Coolant helps a bit, but wasn't permitted for this application. (risk of
killing the critters).
Oh yeah; these were blind holes flat bottomed 3.25" deep and 0.700" dia.
They were drilled, flat bottom drilled, rough helicaled, semifinish
helicaled, and finally finished with a cut of 0.002" and double filtered air
blast.
I tore my hair out for weeks before I figured this technique out.
Good luck on your application.
Cheers

Marcus