CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear encoders...where to find them?

jpmadden_99 wrote:

> Hi and thanks in advance...
>
> I have an Optitracker Quadrature Encoder interface from
> MicroKinetics. They offer only rotary encoders for the unit. This
> interface requires even resolution (they use 1000 line encoders with
> it), two channels, and an index signal. I am on the learning curve
> here, so forgive the lack of detail. The spec sheet indicates it will
> accept input from either incremental or quadrature encoders,
> mutipliers to 4x. Eight TTL compatible inputs available.
>
> Can anyone recommend a source for linear encoders that will work
> with this interface? Ballpark cost?

You are going to have GREAT difficulty finding an inch-based
encoder. Teledyne-Gurley used to make them, in the 1960's!
All the encoders are now based on metric units, to my knowledge.
You might be able to find a VERY old Teledyne or other scale
that is direct reading in imperial units, but it will almost certainly
need repairs. Can the MicroKinetics software translate to inches
from metric screws? That would be about the same situation.

jpmadden_99 2002-02-02 20:37:56 UTC Linear encoders...where to find them? Jon Elson 2002-02-02 21:40:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linear encoders...where to find them? carlcnc 2002-02-02 21:57:22 UTC Re: Linear encoders...where to find them?