CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Encoders - how to tell PPR

on 2002-02-04 11:09:21 UTC
Hi Tom,

You just need to use a status pin (pin 13) on the parallel port, pull it
up to +5V with a 1K resistor or so, and "count" the transitions on the
status bit. Put a plastic knob (or something) with a line or pointer on
the motor shaft. Find a repeatable "reference point", and make exactly
ten turns with the knob. Do the math, and you'll have the resolution.

Alan KM6VV

valrox1 wrote:

> Can anyone help me with some information as to how to tell the PPR on
> an encoder without any specifications? I recently bought some surplus
> servo motors with encoders, but there are absoltely no specifications
> on it.
>
> I do not have a scope. Can someone recommend any simple circuit I
> could put togeteher to read in through the parallel port and get a
> count?
>
> Thank you
> Tom Csibor

Discussion Thread

valrox1 2002-02-03 22:35:50 UTC Encoders - how to tell PPR ballendo 2002-02-04 09:37:18 UTC Re: Encoders - how to tell PPR Alan Marconett KM6VV 2002-02-04 11:09:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Encoders - how to tell PPR