CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3-axis machine configurations

Bill Vance wrote:

> On Tue Feb 5 21:05:27 2002, Carlos Guillermo, <carlos@...> wrote:
>
> > I want a machine to be capable of everything,
> >including:
> >- metal cutting, including steel
> >- hot wire foam cutting
> >- surface grinding
> >- wire EDMing
> >- sinker EDMing
> >- horizontal boring
> >- lathe turning
> >- jig grinding
> >- glue dispensing
> >- engraving
> >- plasma cutting
> >- etc,etc
> >all with minimal changeovers or modifications.
> >

> Hi Carlos;
>
> The problem here is that the more jobs you want to hang on this machine, the
> fewer jobs it will be able to do really well. You might be able to get two or
> three jobs working really well, and with work, a few more, but the more
> complexity, the more problems you'll see. Vertical mills seem to be regarded as
> the most versatile, but no one configuration is perfect in all ways.

I think a sinker EDM is a VERY simple clamp-on retrofit to a CNC milling machine.
I have done just a little of this, and it worked quite well.

Horizontal boring can be done rather neatly on a lathe, although a horizontal
mill is easier to set up for the job.

Surface grinding can be done on a horizontal mill, except the spindle speed
range is usually wrong. A right angle head on a vertical mill (or doing the
surface sideways) can make this work, too. This will generally not be as
accurate as a real surface grinder, but every separate machine takes up
space, and surface grinders are usually quite expensive, even used.

I'm not sure what sort of glue dispensing you want, but it seems like a
clamp-on attachment to a vertical mill might work well, there.

Many people do engraving on vertical mill-type machines.

I saw something recently about a guy who clamps work so that it
overhangs the table of his mill, and uses the XY axes to move work
under his plasma cutter. Somewhat limited in Y axis travel, but for many
jobs it would do.

I have made an auxilliary spindle that clamps to the side of my quill for
PC board drilling and other work with small tools. It is a Westwind
air bearing drilling spindle. See http://pico-systems.com/wwspndl.html
for some pictures.

I now also have a Precise/Rockwell high speed cutting/grinding
spindle (ball bearing) that is just a little bigger. It has more low-end
torque, and changeable collets, so I can mount a variety of cutters.
I will have to make a similar clamping arrangement for it.

Carlos Guillermo 2002-02-05 21:06:52 UTC 3-axis machine configurations Bill Vance 2002-02-06 00:28:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3-axis machine configurations dave_ace_me 2002-02-06 06:16:43 UTC Re: 3-axis machine configurations Jon Elson 2002-02-06 10:02:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3-axis machine configurations