CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] lathe conversion, Framco DC motor & G320s

j_e_f_f_williams wrote:

> For motors I was at my local surplus and found many Fracmo Geared PM
> DC motors just like the one to the right at http://www.fracmo.com/.
> They will provide 14Nm of force, 110RPM, 24VDC/10A (I have a 24VDC
> 100A power supply already) and have a manual override that I could
> enable if I want to still use the machine manually. I am wondering if
> these motors could be used with a Gecko 320 if I added an encoder to
> the motor itself. Tech support @ Framco has been unresponsive with
> info on the motors.

110 RPM? These are gear motors? Unless they have anti-backlash
speed reducers, they are most likely not suitable, as you would have
a great deal of clunking back and forth across the backlash.

> While asking about encoders/servos could I connect the linear DRO
> encoder (0.01mm res) to the G320 or must/should the encoder be on the
> motor itself for the best functionality?

If you use a linear encoder, then there should be minimal backlash
between the motor and encoder. So, gearbox backlash and screw/nut
backlash must be minimized.

j_e_f_f_williams 2002-02-06 07:58:08 UTC lathe conversion, Framco DC motor & G320s Jon Elson 2002-02-06 10:20:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] lathe conversion, Framco DC motor & G320s